SEO Tips To Boost Your Sales On Etsy In 2021
March 11, 2021 | 0 min read
Congratulations are in order! Your shop is up and running on Etsy! Is it perhaps more up than running? Well, don’t you worry because we have the best tips for you! It will help you see progress on your Etsy shop and start generating more sales!
What is SEO? Does SEO work on Etsy?
SEO is short for Search Engine Optimization. Marketers use this technique to improve the ranking of a particular page within search engines and on a given platform. Thus, SEO can make your store visible both on search engines (such as Google or Yahoo) and on Etsy itself. SEO is a set of carefully designed steps that allows you to optimize your page and makes sure that your store meets the requirements of the search engine algorithms. Simply put, if your page is properly optimized, the algorithms will like it and show it as top results. This article will help you promote your store with SEO tactics on Etsy. Let’s dive right in!
How Does Etsy Search Work?
Are you planning to be on Etsy for a long time? Then, you need to invest some time in studying the ins and outs of Etsy. Hence, its search engine. For instance, a customer uses the search tab to look for what they want for instance a silver vintage earring (which is our keyword). Based on that query, Etsy’s search algorithms will provide you with all the listings of silver vintage earrings in a certain order. This certain order is essentially the ranking. Moreover, the default setting of the order is relevant. This way we are aware that’s what the algorithms prioritize. But how is this relevance determined? Well, these are some of the factors that Etsy tends to take into account:
- Shipping cost.
- Listing quality score.
- Location of the store.
- Individual habits of the shopper.
- Customer and market experience.
Let’s take a closer look into some SEO tips which will increase your relevance and drive sales on Etsy.
Write And Rewrite The Content Of Your Listing
You need to begin with optimizing your content. To make things easier for you, here are some tips for each section:
The Name Of Your Shop
When you’re opening your shop, this is the very first thing that Etsy asks you to do. They allow you to have up to 20 characters. It’s more than enough characters to make sure that you create a catchy yet memorable name. Furthermore, your shop’s name should be descriptive and match what you’re about to sell. For instance, if you are planning to sell handmade pieces of jewelry, make sure that the name of your shop does have some connection with it. In the name of your shop, use words like “art,” “handmade,” or “jewels”, etc. Plus, if you already have a brand, you can go ahead and use that name for your Etsy shop.
We have now reached the heart of the matter. Keep in mind that you’ll need to follow these steps during each of your listings:
- Etsy allows you to have 140 characters in your listing.
- This is Etsy’s hint that you should make the title of your listing very specific.
- Did you know that both Etsy and Google, tend to pay the closest attention to the first 40 characters of your title?
- Hence why you should be sure that these characters are important words, i.e, keywords.
- Also, you might want to consider using multiple titles for one listing.
- You can use keywords like jewelry/vintage earrings/silver earrings and necklaces.
- Please note: It’s a must to divide these keywords by dashes or other separators (- or .) because it allows Etsy algorithms to read them as separate words.
- Usually, this section is either confused with tags or overlooked.
- It is crucial to put the right and all possible categories.
- Some customers prefer browsing through categories rather than looking for something specific.
- Hence why you should make sure that your listing will appear in all the categories that it belongs to.
- In this extended space, you can give more details about your product.
- The Etsy algorithms will scan it to decide how your listing should rank.
- The key to optimizing product description is very simple as you need to focus on keywords (which we will cover soon).
- While you’re writing the description of your listing, write about the details of the item such as the color, texture, or style.
- To take it a step further, you can elaborate more by including things like ‘would it make a good gift?’, “what age is it appropriate for?’, etc.
- Moreover, remember the new lingo and current trends are all about “minimalism”.
- Although this section is not necessarily mandatory on Etsy, however, they are an SEO must.
- They allow you to use up to 13 tags. Make sure to use all 13 of them.
- There’s no need to think about brand new tags because your tags should match your title, ( for example, our earlier example jewelry/vintage earrings/silver earrings and necklaces, your tags will be jewelry, vintage earrings, silver earrings, and necklaces.
- While choosing tags, think about what will people associate your product with, and what they would search for when they need it.
Keywords And Thinking Creatively
It is crucial to remember that the efficiency of your SEO efforts will ultimately depend on the keywords that you choose. Like we mentioned before, the specific keywords should be included in your description and your title (the best should be the first 40 characters). The important question is, how does one choose the right keywords? It’s not an easy task to do. Hence why you need tools to find keywords and several tactics that will help you make the best out of those keywords. One of our biggest tips while choosing keywords is to always use your common sense! What are keywords? They are essentially the most commonly used expressions and words that people search for. So whenever you’re unsure about which keyword you should choose, think about what an average customer is more likely to type in the search bar.
What Kinds Of Keywords To Use?
On Etsy, the best strategy is to use a combination of both, the general keywords such as earrings and much more narrow ones such as red peacock-shaped earrings. The narrow keywords, in SEO lingo, are referred to as long-tail keywords. When a customer is looking for something specific, these are the things that they are more likely to search for.
Tools To Find The Perfect Keywords For You
- One of the safest and go-to keyword platforms for lots of marketers is Google Keyword Planner. However, sometimes it can be quite un-intuitive. Besides, it is better to keep some backups and alternatives, such as:
- Erank – As this platform is completely dedicated to Etsy, they will help you find keywords, monitor rankings, and grow your shop. We recommend using it because of its exclusivity and 100% focus on Etsy.
- Ubersuggest – This platform is created by Neil Patel who is one of the biggest digital marketing gurus out there. This platform provides you with keyword recommendations, content ideas and gives you a peek into what your competitors are using.
- KWFinder – As we mentioned before, long-tail keywords are extremely essential on Etsy. So, KWFinder is a platform that helps you find them. We would recommend you to check it out as it’s a goldmine of high-volume keywords. It provides you with a 10-day trial.
Another must for any SEO strategy is linking. Linking is the perfect way to show that you’re trustworthy because the algorithms of Etsy are constantly looking for relevant and reliable listings. You can choose from different kinds of link-building strategies. You can start from an easy one such as sharing the listing on your social media handles and then make your way to other blogs and websites. While using inbound links, here are some tips that you should focus on:
- You can reach out to influencers and ask for reviews,
- You can create a blog on Medium (or a similar platform) to promote your products there, and
- Try to look for guest post opportunities.
Keeping An Eye On Competitors
If you have a shop on Etsy, it is a business. One of the rules of business is to do competitor research and analysis. On Etsy, you should look into other shops that are similar to yours, and who knows you might learn something new! Check out how they are wording their titles and descriptions? or how many reviews do they have? etc.
Monitoring And Making Changes
Even though SEO is pretty low maintenance, you still need to monitor it. SEO comes with a stage full of trial and error. During that stage, it is important to keep an eye on your shop, on the performance of your keywords, and make some changes.
The best tip of all is to make sure you have fun! Remember that you know your product the best, so experiment and do your best. As you will gain experience by selling on Etsy, you’ll learn that you have an endless amount of opportunities to refine your SEO skills. Moreover, you can use some good marketing strategies to improve your Etsy shop. You’ll always find steps you can take to make your shop much more searchable and successful, it could be you experimenting with different keywords or improving your customer service policy, and much more!
SEO Tips To Boost Your Sales On Etsy In 2021 FAQs
Here are some essential tips to sell on Etsy:
– Become a part of the community.
– Build your brand.
– Know your SEO.
– Market your brand on social media platforms.
– Post-high-quality photos.
– Provide the best customer service.
– Research successful Etsy sellers.
– Start a blog.
Here are some things that sell extremely well on Etsy:
– Craft and supplies.
– Handmade items.
– Paper and party supplies.
– Wedding-related items.
On average, your earnings might range from $500 per month to over $10,000 per month. In the majority of sellers, they tend to earn between $1,000 to $5,000 per month.
SUBSCRIBE TO OUR BLOG