A Detailed Guide To Facebook Video Sizes And Specs For Best Performing Ads
16/02/2021 | 0 min read
Facebook video ads are the best way and most engaging tool to connect with the audience effectively, generating more leads. According to Facebook, research about 39% of people have perhaps discovered various new brands and products via their Facebook ad.
However, with additional help from Glorifies’ video maker, one can easily create and edit videos in just a few minutes, meeting the Facebook video ads requirements. But before you get on with the creation, you must get cracking with the basics like the Facebook ad sizes, video ratio, maximum length accepted, the frame rate, ad types, etc. Read on to know them all in detail with the technicals mentioned.
Facebook Video File Size And Aspect Ratio
Facebook videos could range from 9:16 to 10:9 as per your requirement in order to produce the video that fits the desirable screen size. Yes, otherwise use square and rectangular video to fit for a good experience, but in order to provide the video with the best experience, these vertical and full portrait modes are the best choices. Just make sure of the right video aspect ratio for your ad.
Bonus point – As the use of mobile phones has increased drastically and people tend to use the phones for almost every use, you could check for the video to fall into the vertical format as it has a huge advantage added, according to the Facebook ads case study.
However, there are only a few video aspect ratios that are allowed to fit all the Facebook video ads placements, this makes it even more important for you to read the specs carefully in the following session of this article, breaking down each ad placement for the best-suited video requirements, practices, and specifications.
Specs and Placements for Facebook Video Ads
Facebook the network has become more and more diverse, offering a wide range of placements for you where you can advertise your Facebook video.
These Facebook videos observe different types of results taken from the user’s intent. It could result in a varied result each time, so choose what works the best for you keeping in mind your goals. But, what does creating a Facebook ad entail?
Facebook ads help:
- Expand the reach of the company
- Boost the engagement between the owner and the audience
- Increases the views on the video
- Help drive into conversions
To help you better, let’s dive into a detailed explanation for each characteristic of the placements to understand where they excel and where could posting your video ad get in the maximum results from the audience.
1. Facebook Feed Video Ads
These are the most popular ads that show up to attract the attention of the viewers scrolling through their posts from friends, family, and favorite brands in their newsfeed. It supports videos that are simple and 360, or even a video carousel.
Here are the technical specifications and sizes for each video type.
This is the easiest way to advertise on Facebook for the most effective choices in terms of reach, engagement, and conversions. To have the perfect video make sure of these Facebook video dimensions that you must know about this placement.
- Video resolution: The platform recommends uploading a video of the highest resolution, meeting the Facebook video ad size and ratio limits with no letter or pillar boxing. The accepted video resolution must be at least 1,280 by 720 pixels.
- Video aspect ratio: As one can see in the video requirements and placements, the platform supports aspect ratios from 9:16 to 16:9 that depends on the targeting and where the audience spends the most time. You may opt to use the square size that fits the devices, or break down the ads and create different versions of the video for the mobile feed and the desktop feed.
- Video length: The maximum length to upload videos is 240 minutes. However, as observed by the studies, the best Facebook video ads are approximately 15 seconds as shorter videos perform well. This helps make sure the users watch the whole video with you lending all the information at your end as Facebook only recommends videos that are quick to communicate and grabs the attention of the people, encouraging them to stay for a longer video.
- Video file type: The Facebook platform approves most video types, except MOV or MP4 videos for the best results.
- Facebook video thumbnail size: The Facebook video thumbnail is to be the same as per the aspect ratio of the video and a high resolution of at least 1,280 by 720 pixels. If in case the video has more than 20% text, the delivery of the video would be reduced.
- Video file size: The limit of the Facebook video to be uploaded is 4GB.
- Video caption: It is optional but is recommended.
- Video sound: It is optional but is recommended.
- Facebook video with link: Headline accepted of 25 characters and description of 30 characters max.
360 video ads
360 videos are those videos that have immersive experiences where the viewers explore the Facebook ad by turning their device or dragging their finger in order to view the surroundings. This helps bring the scenes come alive to the audience that is quite impactful. Creating a Facebook ad that has a 360 view, you will require a 360 camera.
Here are the technical requirements for your 360 video Facebook ad:
- Video dimensions: The pixels minimum is limitless but the maximum width is 120 px with a maximum height of 120 px.
- Video length: Facebook ad sizes are up to 241 minutes.
- Video size: The video size accepted is 1 MB to a maximum length of 26 GB.
- Video aspect ratio: The video aspect ratio could be between 100 x 400 to 400 x 100 px.
Facebook carousel video ads
The Facebook carousel video ads are the most efficient kinds of ads that drive conversions, with 30% to 50% lower cost-per-conversion compared to the single-image link ads.
The best part about this Facebook carousel is that the format allows showcasing 10 images or videos that provide more space, highlighting the different kinds of products with their details making it perfect for eCommerce.
Here are the technical requirements to keep in mind before launching the carousel ads on the Facebook feed:
- The number of cards: The cards accepted were anywhere between 2 to 10 video cards.
- Video file type: They support most file types, but prefer MOV or MP4 for better results.
- Video file size: The maximum video file size is 4 GB.
- Video length: The ad sizes can be up to 241 minutes each, but shorter videos are encouraged in the carousel format for users to explore from card to card.
- Video aspect ratio: The recommended video aspect ratio is 1:1 each.
- Text and link: For ads like these, a landing page link is required with the primary text of up to 125 characters, headlines of 25 characters, and descriptions of 20 characters.
2. Instant Facebook Articles Ads
The Facebook instant article ads allow the publishers to share fast-loading, mobile-optimized articles in the Facebook app directly.
Here are the specifications that will help you create a Facebook video for Instant Article ads:
- Resolution: The highest resolution video must meet the size and ratio limits with the absence of letter or pillar boxing (black bars).
- Source aspect ratio: The video ratio 9:16 to 16:9 is accepted with the vertical videos of a ratio of 4:5.
- Video length: Video can be uploaded up to 240 minutes, however, it is observed that the shorter videos perform better.
- Video file type: MOV or MP4 are recommended for better results, but most file types are supported.
- Facebook video thumbnail size: This must be of the same aspect ratio as the video with a high resolution. Images with more than 20% text will be removed.
- Video file size: The ad sizes accepted are up to 4 GB.
- Video captions: Captions are not available but if needed, you can make use of the subtitles while creating the video for the Facebook feed.
- Video sound: Optional but recommended video sound.
- Facebook video ad with link: Supported with the headlines of 25 characters and description with 30 characters.
3. In-stream Video Ads for Facebook
As the title suggests, these are short videos that are placed right before or during the Facebook videos or live streams. This helps the audience that is already watching captivating video content on the Facebook feed will indulge in your receptive video ad. In other words, a creative video that reached the audience at the right time results in more engagement and reach.
These audience-based might have the viewers view the same video with different ads as per their interests. Here are a few ad type technicals:
- The resolution: The platform recommends uploading a video of the highest resolution available that meets the ratio and size limits with no letter or pillar boxing.
- Source aspect ratio: It supports all aspect ratios from 9:16 to 16:9 with 16:9 as the most popular and recommended.
- Video length: The video length should be between 5 and 16 seconds, however, the shorter the best.
- Video file type: For best results, MOV or MP4 are recommended, but all video file types are supported.
- Facebook video thumbnail size: It should be of the same aspect ratio as per the video with a high resolution. But, a video with about 20% of images, may experience a reduced delivery or might as well get rejected.
- Video file size: The accepted video file size is up to 4 GB.
- Video captions: The captions are optional.
- Video sound: It is strongly recommended by Facebook, but optional.
4. Facebook Marketplace
This is a great place to discover and purchase items and with the Facebook marketplace ads, the audience does intend to buy a thing or two. So, if you’re new, this is a great place to start with.
Given that the Facebook marketplace is a dominant space, the videos must stand out more for better results. Here are the technical requirements:
- Resolution: The platform recommends you to upload the highest resolution video that meets the limits of the size and ratio without the letter or pillar boxing (black bars).
- Source aspect ratio: The video ratio 9:16 to 16:9 is accepted.
- Video length: The Facebook ads accept videos for up to 240 minutes, but the shorter the best.
- Video file type: MOV or Mp4 are recommended, however, most file types are supported.
- Facebook video thumbnail size: The video thumbnail must have the same aspect ratio as per the video with high resolution. Images that have more than 20% of text must be removed.
- Video file size: The file size accepted is up to 4 GB.
- Video captions: The captions are not available for the ad placement, but if you need them, you can make use of the subtitles. Or, add captions when creating a Facebook video.
- Video sound: It is optional but recommended.
- Facebook video ad primary text and link: The primary text must have 125 characters with a headline of up to 25 characters, and a description of 30 characters.
5. Stories Video Ads Facebook
These are full-screen vertical ads that appear in between the stories for about 15 seconds, or till the viewers dismiss the ad. With the Facebook stories gathering more and more popularity, the Facebook ad in stories is getting better results.
Here are the technicals to keep in mind when creating a Facebook story ads:
- Resolution: You can upload the highest resolution source video that meets the size and ratio limits, without letter or pillar boxing (black bars).
- Safe area: You must try to leave about 14%, that is, 250 pixels from the top and bottom of the video free from text and logos. This helps you avoid the unnecessary covering of the vital elements with a profile icon or call-to-action. Note – make sure to keep the key elements within the 1080 x 1420 title-safe area.
- Video aspect ratio: It can vary from 1:91 to 9:16 with the minimum aspect ratio of 90 x 160, and a maximum of 191 x 100. The aspect ratio tolerance is 0.01.
- Video length: The maximum video duration is 2 minutes.
- Video file size: The maximum file size is up to 4 GB.
- Video captions: This is not available.
- Video sound: It is optional.
- Video dimension: The minimum dimension width is 500 pixels.
6. Facebook Search Results Video Ads
This is similar to a Google search and helps satisfy the demand, reaching people in the discovery mindset and increases the Facebook ad conversion.
Here are the technicalities to keep in mind:
- Video aspect ratio: As per the recommendations, 1:1 is the best ratio type for this ad. 4:5 is also accepted but not recommended.
- Video resolution: You are allowed to upload the highest resolution available that meets the size and ratio limits.
- Video length: A video of up to 240 minutes can be uploaded but shorter performs better.
- Facebook video thumbnail size: The video thumbnail must have the same aspect ratio as per the video with high resolution. Videos that have images with more than 20% text could be rejected with a reduced delivery.
- Video file size: The accepted size of a file is up to 4 GB.
- Video captions: This is not supported.
- Video sound: It is an optional choice but recommended for better viewership.
- Facebook video with link: The headline must have about 25 characters with a description: of 30 characters.
7. Facebook Video Feeds Ads
These video feeds ad placement can be inserted in the video feeds and opens whenever the audience clicks on the video from their own newsfeed. This is highly efficient where the audience is already in the watching mode and your video can reach them or get messages across in a compelling manner.
Here are the technical requirements to look at:
- Video resolution: You can upload the highest resolution source video available, meeting the size and ratio limits, without letter or pillar boxing.
- Video aspect ratio: It supports all aspect ratios from 9:16 to 16:9.
- Video length: Videos of up to 240 minutes can be uploaded, but shorter ones are recommended.
- Video File Type: For better results, MOV or Mp4 are recommended, but support most file types.
- Facebook video thumbnail size: The thumbnail must have the same aspect ratio as per the video with high resolution. But, images with more than 20% text could not have good delivery.
- Video file size: The video size accepted is up to 4 GB.
- Video captions: It is optional but recommended.
- Video sound: Optional but recommended.
- Facebook video with link: The headline in the Facebook video must have 25 characters with a description of about 30 characters
This is all about Facebook ad sizes and specs. However, if you would like to know more about the best Facebook video formats, venture onto the article via the link now!
Keeping the recommended Facebook video sizes and specifications in mind enhance the resolution source video available and helps in better engagement with the audience. We hope this makes your video the highest resolution video available on the platform of Facebook.
Get onto editing your ad video as soon as possible with the help of Glorify!
Facebook Video Sizes And Specs FAQs
The recommended video dimensions of the Facebook video is 1200 x 628 for Landscape and Square. However, the minimum dimensions are 600 x 315 (1.9:1 landscape) and 600 x 600 (square) with an aspect ratio of 16:9.
Here are a few ways to make your Facebook video ad successful:
– Explore to grab the attention of the audience in the initial few seconds of the ad.
– Keep the video short to make sure the message has been delivered
– Get the branding done right away
– Optimize the title and description of the ad
– Focus on the sound-off views
– Check and maintain the required Facebook video ad specs.
– Get vertical or square.
– Stick to keep the CTAs in the middle.
The best video carousel format is square 1:1 and is consistent for all in a carousel. However, in terms of the in-stream video, horizontal 16:9 to fit the videos are recommended. Perhaps, in the audience network placements, vertical 9:16 works better.
SUBSCRIBE TO OUR BLOG